Monday, March 24, 2008

Children as teachers



Children as such incredible teachers. When I first heard there was snow forecast for Easter weekend, my heart sank. It’s not that I don’t think it looks pretty or anything ~ it looks stunning when it blankets the fells (hills) and fields around here, it’s just that, I don’t like the cold. I really can’t bear it; my bones ache. Give me mild weather and rain any day….though my preference is 30C and not a cloud in the sky! However, I rose to the challenge and allowed myself to live in the moment and be accepting. On Easter Saturday, I sat in one of my favourite places, Bluebell Bookshop in Penrith, and continued reading a book I’ve had my head in each time I visit there…I looked up from my cosy spot on the sofa and saw the snow falling. Beautiful! I realised that if it was December I’d be so caught up in the romance of it all (cue: Christmas carols, the bookshop café lit up with candles) ~ and again, caught myself, and realised that the labels I’m putting on the weather are what causes the problems. “It’s Easter, it shouldn’t snow. I don’t like cold..bla bla.”

I was warm, and I indulged in the BEST hot chocolate this side of the equator. In silence, I sat reading a fabulous book….there wasn’t anything wrong with my present moment. And that’s all we have, isn’t it? Right now...here now.

Children know this. My girls were up before breakfast on Easter morning ~ sledging and snowing. I was snugged up in bed!

We don’t do Easter in the sense of how the masses *celebrate*...No eggs here! Paul and I always do a little treasure hunt for the girls. Most years I wrap up a collection of dried fruit and nuts and then hide them in the garden at the end of a very long list of clues. This year I asked Paul to make up the clues…a very sneaky way of getting the girls to do mind-expanding maths! The clues involved lots of square roots (ouch!) and having to do them to get to the next location. And all this was done in the dining room because the weather wasn’t conducive. But, rather than have their brain turn to fuzz over maths, they were totally up for the challenge and there was lots of laughing!

It’s far too easy to believe we’re the ones guiding and teaching our children. Day after day revelations come to me ~ and this happens because of observing my children; my blessed teachers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unrelated comment.. Just found the site truebirth.com. Under 'Birth News' there are some damning statistics about birth in the UK.

25% of women are left alone while in labour or shortly after

22% are attended by staff they've met beforehand (so 78% are attended by strangers, as I was)

57% of the 26,000 women surveyed gave birth lying down or with their legs in stirrups (like I did)

I am due mid-April with baby number 2. I would have a home birth, but home isn't a safe happy place for me.. I'm booked in at a birth centre, not a hospital this time. Luckily the centre has a very very low intervention rate comparatively speaking. When will more women start taking control of their bodies and their births? If a woman in this country has the legal right to choose when and how her unborn baby is killed, why doesn't she have the same authority to make decisions about when and how her baby is born? It makes me sick...
Blessings to all